EMSAR Biomedical Services

EMSAR Biomedical Services History

EMSAR Biomedical Services, Inc. was founded in 1993 and began providing support as local area healthcare providers commanded a source for clinical engineering services. Since 1997 EBS has been providing installation services for major medical equipment manufacturers. In 2001 EBS moved to a new state-of-the-art 10,000 square foot technical operational facility in Blandon, PA. The ISO9000 compliant facility boasts an NIST traceable calibration laboratory, a 2000 sq. ft. technical training room, support services, and corporate offices. In 2003, EBS expanded its operations into the New England and Mid Atlantic regions to meet the needs of several large manufacturers. In 2006, EBS completed a successful acquisition of Flemming Communications in an effort to expand into the communication and networking field. Company growth has included expanded services for medical gas testing, Audiometer calibrations, Anesthesia unit performance testing, and Radiology services.

 

History of medical equipment repair services

We feel that the more you know about the history of the Clinical Engineering Field the better we are able to serve you. The Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI)’s historical outline of medical equipment repair services.

1919

US Army Surgeon General writes a letter to Quartermaster General in order to establish a “central repair establishment” in the medical department to which surgical instruments and delicate laboratory equipment can be sent for repairs.

July 1922

The first US Army medical maintenance shop was established under the control of the Surgeon General in the St. Louis, MO medical depot.

1939 – 1940

US Army medical maintenance was a function of medical supply but most repairs were handled by a post signal shop, ordinance engineers, manufacturers or sent to the depot in St. Louis.

January 10th 1943

The Surgeon General authorized a three month training course to be conducted at the St. Louis Medical depot. This was the beginning of the US Army’s Biomedical Equipment Training school and the first such program in the United States with the requirement to cover a wide variety of medical equipment.

A consensus of healthcare professionals in the Clinical Engineering field recognize this day as the beginning of our organized profession.

1962

Engineer William S. Staewen, was invited to launch one of the first organized medical equipment programs at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore.

1963

The US Army BMET School moved to Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, Denver, CO due to ever increasing advancement of medical equipment technology. Newly named The United States Army Medical Equipment and Optical School (USAMEOS).

1967

The Technical Education Research Center (TERC), funded by the US Office of Education, developed a two-year post high school curriculum for BMETs. AAMI helped the center conduct a study of the need for biomedical equipment technicians in the health fields, improve the BMET curriculum and set up pilot teaching programs. AAMI additionally received funding to do research and selling of hospitals on the need for BMETs.

1971

Electrical safety in hospitals was in serious doubt. An article in Ladies Home Journal, by Ralph Nader talked about unsafe hospitals, and the danger of Micro-shock. They even quoted some experts estimating over 5000 undetected electrocutions in hospitals every year. These articles and some legitimate research spurred the creation of standards for electrical safety in hospitals.